Your Blog Host

Your Blog Host
Friends, Meet SIN CITY ARTIE!

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

It Is Always On...

I Do It And NO ONE Listens...

SOB...

I have been doing it for over ten years...






It is out there 24/7 for all to hear...






I have plenty of quality stuff in it...


Oh well...Guess that's the way it is...

BUT...you ask, WHAT IS IT?


Well friends, it is MY own creation...My thoughts...My anxieties....My dreams...

IT'S WACKORADIO!

My internet radio show continues to roll right along and I NEVER hear any response to it...to the music I play...to my nifty patter...to the entire audio presentation...

It is OK...I have been running it a while 
and have lived with this...

I search far and wide for neat old radio jingles...classic commercials...
and more...




It gives me a place to vent now and again...Currently I have a mix of old shows along with some newer ones...And then when I'm in THAT mood I churn out another new edition of WACKORADIO...


One of my fav rants is when I was 16 and sitting in the McDonalds parking lot in Reseda, California as I had a date with a girl who was a friend of the girl that I really was interested in...
Wow, we were so young and dumb back then...




Anyway I went on with her about my theory of life and it literally went right over her head...
So she sucked on another Salem and we headed to the Canoga Park Drive-In 
to see the latest James Bond flick...










Here is my tale about Gloria as heard on WACKORADIO





I started as a DJ when I was a lad of seventeen and living in Northridge...


First station I was on was KUSC at the University of Southern California...
Myself and several others lobbied for the station to play 
MORE than classical music...

We each had a night and I think I was Tuesday's and I played Big Bands...
Remember, it was 1966/67...

 I went one night to the Panorama Towers in the Valley and meet 
with the program director, Bill Smith, with my KUSC air check in hand...
He listens to to two minutes and said, 
"Can you be here Saturday mornings at 6 am?"


Heck of course I could...
He gave me a key to the-door, quickly told me how to sign on the station 
and I was "On Air" that Saturday AM...

Now back then KVFM only paid a few DJ's to spin records...
The rest of us worked for FREE...What did I care...

I was on THE RADIO in LA...


One Summer afternoon in 1967 I was holding down the 2 to 6 pm shift and in walks this fellow with an album tucked under his orm...

He asks if he can get "On Air" and talk about his appearance that night 
at a club in the Valley...

It was Bo Diddley...






 Here's true tale about when I went horseback riding with comedian John Byner and then watched Diana Ross and The Supremes 
that night on stage in Las Vegas...







Flash forward...I stayed around three years three off and on and became the PD for a bit...
I ended up making $400 a month plus a daily dinner trade at the  Howard Johnson's on Roscoe Blvd (Home of the Double Bubble Cocktail) and all the promo records I wanted to haul home...  

I was happy BUT I began to realize that being a DJ 
was not what it all seemed to be...
Low pay, strange working partners and stranger managers and owners...







That was about the time I headed over to KHJ-TV 
for a year and worked in the traffic department...



There I REALLY understood that sales was where one should go to make a living in media...And that is where I went for the next four decades...







But I had my love of DJ's, radio jingles, air checks, mics, boards 
and so much more associated with being "On Air"...

Over the years I compensated all that by voicing 
hundreds of commercials and more...

Now about ten years ago I came full circle and started doing my Internet radio show, "WACKORADIO"...

And I still do...

Yea, no one listens...
No one cares...
BUT I have a good time and for me that is ALL that matters...

Most of the fun is producing Facebook promo pixs for the show...

Here are some of my favs:






















































Now if you want to break precedent and tune-in- here is the link:


Bob and I will be waiting for you to give a listen! 


No comments:

Post a Comment